Apparently this years summer hit on TV is NBC’s The Night Shift. I’ve watched all six episodes that have been aired thus far and despite the show being only very mildly creative, I have to admit that I dig it.
Let’s start off with the basics: The Night Shift is a medical drama series that revolves around the night shift at the ER of San Antonio Medical Centre. You might think that it’s just like all the other medical shows on television and what should I say? Of course, it’s nothing entirely new, but I think the fact that they only show the actual night shift of one single day adds a nice note to the tone of the series. The doctors are pretty extreme, with most of them being (ex-)military, and you’ve got a nice variety of characters. What more could you wish for during the dire times of most TV show’s summer break? If you still need convincing, maybe you’ll find one of your favourite actors/actresses among the cast, which includes: Eoin Macken, Jill Flint, Ken Leung, Brendan Fehr, Daniella Alonso, Robert Bailey Jr., Jeananne Goossen, J.R. Lemon, Freddy Rodriguez, …
Now, if you haven’t watched the show and don’t mind a couple of Spoilers you might read on. Here’s the things I enjoy and think about the Night Shift and what’s to come:
- TC is my absolute favourite character! I can’t wait to see what happens next with the whole Scott-Jordan-TC-Landry drama going on.
- Although Ragosa can be a real douche, he’s actually really smart and I find it incredibly cute that he’s into Landry.
- Drew finally came out, and he did so with a bang! I am worried for him though, because although I’d really like for everyone to be happy for him, the look on the faces of Rick’s platoon weren’t exactly all approving. I guess, I’ll have to wait for next week to find out.
- I love Krista’s and Drew’s friendship! It’s one of my favourite parts of the show!
- Topher and Kenny are a great comic relief of the show. I think they are both great characters.
- The only one I didn’t really connect to is Paul. I don’t know why I don’t really like him, because he’s done nothing to deserve my dislike, but (except for epsiode 5) I just can’t find it in me to care for his character.
- Next week (episode 7) we will have a hostage situation at our hands! I just heard a shot at the end of the promo and am really scared for TC, Jordan and Topher (who seem to be with the shooter). It’ll probably not be as bad as I think now, but still …
So, that’s all I have to say. I can’t wait to find out where they are going and if they’ll survive this summer. Although I hope to see more seasons of the Night Shift, reviews have been very mixed. What do you think about it?