Okay, first off, imagine me doing my best River Song impression: Spoilers! I will not be held responsible if you read on and get spoiled for Doctor Who‘s first episode “Deep Breath” of Series 8!
I went into this episode feeling a lot like Clara. I conciously knew that the Doctor had regenerated, but he also changed (meaning not just his face) and I didn’t know what that meant for me. I wasn’t sure how I would feel about Peter Capaldi. Matt Smith was my first Doctor, and therefore always had a special place in my heart, but now there was this new man. A man who is the Doctor, although he doesn’t yet look like it because I still had this very different image of him in my head. After watching the Time of the Doctor, I knew that Matt, my beloved Eleven, was gone, but somehow it didn’t actually hit me until Deep Breath what that meant. I can’t believe it still fazes me so much when the Doctor regenerates and I will embarrassingly admit that I cried multiple times during Deep Breath. By the end of the episode though, it was settled – Capaldi is the Doctor. He is still the great man/alien we all know and he’s going to take us on some mindblowing and brilliant adventures in space and time. All of this isn’t just new for us, it’s new for him too. I cannot wait for the rest of Series 8 and the everything that follows!
But let’s get more specific concerning Deep Breath! Here are my thoughts about the episode:
- Amongst my friends, I am the only one who likes Clara. I don’t have to have the same opinion as everyone else, so that is totally fine with me, but I think she is a brilliant companion and I loved her in this episode. I just think that it is so easy to relate to her. Just like I was heartbroken when the Doctor left her behind in the Time of the Doctor, I could totally understand her reservations towards his new appearance and character.
- The Paternoster Gang is back! You just have to love Madame Vastra, Strax and Jenny. I think they were a great addition to the show and I always like the dynamic they bring to the episodes. Sometimes they bring great comic relief and other times they ground us and remind us who the Doctor really is.
- The droids/humanoids/robots from The Girl in the Fireplace were back. I didn’t care so much about the robots or whatever they are, but the Girl in the Fireplace was one of my all time favourite episodes. Just the reference to it made me happy.
- I know it’s silly, but I tried holding my breath whenever the characters did during the episode. That was insanely long! I couldn’t stand doing it even for half of the time they did. Maybe I should practice holding my breath, just in case I run into some crazy humanoids who want my body parts.
- Who is Missy (played by Michelle Gomez)? And why on earth does she call the Doctor her boyfriend? Colour me surprised and definitely intrigued!
- The girl from the shop, who gave Clara the Doctor’s phone number, was mentioned again. Is she behind the advert in the newspaper that brought Clara and the Doctor back together? Is the girl the mysterious Missy from the point above? I’m glad they are diving into that matter! Who wants the Doctor and Clara to stick together? I so want to know!
- The Doctor-Clara dynamic is of course different than it was between Eleven and Clara, but I think it is still great. Their bickering and teasing each other is hilarious to watch. I am looking forward to them getting to know each other all over again.
- One of my favourite parts of the episode was Matt’s/Eleven’s phone call! What a fantastic idea to give Clara closure and at the same time give her reason to stick with the Doctor. It was heartbreaking to see Twelve struggle with Clara’s attitude. Wanting her back as his friend and his companion and her finally realising that Twelve is still her Doctor – I loved that scene from start to finish!
- So, this is the last point and it’s about Twelve’s new face. Apparently, there is a reason he chose to go with that face. He still can’t remember where he knows it from, but I hope there will be more hints as to why he got the face he has now throughout the season.
What did you think of the first episode of Series 8? Do you like Capaldi as the new Doctor? I sure do!