Another post where it’s important that I use River Song‘s catchphrase: Spoilers! The following post isn’t really a review as much as it is a gathering of my thoughts about Doctor Who‘s Robot of Sherwood, so if you haven’t watched it – do not read on!
I’ve always liked the legend of Robin Hood and I always enjoyed Doctor Who episodes where historical figures or even fictional characters appeared. Robot of Sherwood was no exception, although I didn’t like it for the main plot, but for other reasons. Here are my thoughts:
- The bickering between the Doctor and Robin Hood (Tom Riley) was hilarious! I loved it so much and it was the main reason I liked the episode, because I found the robots rather boring. Lately, they always try to build up some sort of unfortunately obvious mystery and then rush the conclusion in the end. The titles really give away a lot in my opinion. So, I just didn’t care very much for the Sheriff‘s plan – I liked watching the interaction between the other characters though.
- I know it’s silly, but I missed Danny in the episode. Into the Dalek was such a great set up for him and now he wasn’t even mentioned, well except indirectly by Robin when he said goodbye to Clara.
- Speaking of Clara and Robin – weren’t they cute together? She was absolutely infatuated with this legend she’s always loved and finally gets to meet and I think he was fascinated by her as well. We all know his big love is someone else, but I liked their little flirtation.
- Again with the Promised Land … I start to dislike those little sneak peeks, because we don’t get any more information. I hate not knowing what’s going on, and of course they can’t tell as everything at once, but a little progression in the information output would be helpful.
- The Doctor momentarily stopped believing that everything can be possible and hurt Clara by asking her, when she started to believe in the impossible. She’s his impossible girl after all! Still, I like seeing a grumpier, darker version of the Doctor, who can nonetheless be funny.
- The promo for next week’s episode Listen looks creepier than the past ones, which makes me really excited! Also, I like that I can’t yet imagine what I should expect from something called “Listen”.
What was your opinion of Robot of Sherwood? I still can’t believe that Robin was played by Da Vinci’s Demons Tom Riley – I barely recognised him!