I think we have established by now that I am covering every episode of Doctor Who, and “Listen” is no exception. Spoilers ahead, so if you haven’t watched it yet – do that and then come back!
Listen was definitely the obligatory creepy episode of this season. Unfortunately, Moffat’s curse set in again. Now, what do I mean by that? I’m not an opponent of Moffat, like a lot of people are, because I usually like his story arcs. He’s brilliant when it comes to setting up a story. Everything seems all intricate, intriguing and like he’s the only one who can solve the mystery, but then he just doesn’t deliver! His resolutions are, more often than not, very disappointing and Listen is in my opinion no different from previous cases. It’s like he just discards everything he’s established at the beginning of the episode and acts as if that’s perfectly normal, but my problem is that we saw something under the bedspread. I don’t think that was just another kid who wanted to scare Rupert, and if it actually was just another kid, that should have been made clear at some later point. Am I alone with that opinion?
Here are some other thoughts about the episode:
- I think that it was the creepiest proposition ever that we are never really alone; that there is a reason we talk to ourselves when we know that no one else is there. Unfortunately, I don’t like the “explanation”, but I think I’ve thorougly established that above.
- I wonder which planet Clara and the young Doctor were on when she comforted him. Was it Gallifrey? Because I thought that that wasn’t possible anymore. Also, the shed the War Doctor went to wasn’t on Gallifrey. Or was it? Maybe I’m just confused…
- Clara and Danny are really cute, although I have a feeling he’s going to get a serious head injury if he keeps dating her. Having said that, it was a little early for me to establish that they are probably going to get married and have (great-grand) children. That is if I understood the episode correctly.
- I like how the Doctor is very protective of Clara, even though they bicker and tease each other all the time. It was hilarious when he said that he waited in the bedroom in case she brought her date home. I love the dynamic between Peter Capaldi and Jenna Coleman!
- As little as this detail was, I am very happy that the psychic paper made an appearance. Haven’t seen it in a while.
That’s all for today! Next episode “Time Heist” looks interesting enough, with Clara and the Doctor robbing a bank. What did you think of Listen? Does your opinion differ from mine?