Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. was one of the shows that I most anticipated this fall. I know that a lot of people had their problems with the first season, but if you stuck with it until the end, I am sure you are now as excited as I am. There were quite a lot of shockers, turn of events and cliffhangers at the end of Season 1 and I can’t tell you how happy I am about the show finally continuing. This review contains Spoilers for the first episode of Season 2 called “Shadows“!
Overall I can say that I loved the episode, but here are some more specific thoughts:
- I think I’ve read somewhere that Agent Carter would make an appearance, but I couldn’t really imagine how that was going to work out. I think they incorporated her cameo really well and we now finally know why all the 084‘s are called that way.
- Ward … I was so shocked last season! I never ever in a million years expected him to be part of Hydra and I still don’t know if we can ever trust him again. Although I am not even part of the team, I just felt so betrayed and hurt by his actions. They were like his family! However, seeing him on lock-down and the (emotional) pain he was in, I couldn’t help but feel a little bit sorry for him. And I would really like to know what he knows about Sky’s father!
- Speaking of Sky! She really became all tough and I like that.
- So, Coulson is now the Director of (what’s left of) SHIELD. His priorities seem to have changed a lot, or is that just my feeling? I just can’t imagine him putting his team at a risk like the one he did during this episode before he became director.
- There were a lot of new characters introduced, of whom only very few seemed to have survived the first episode. I find Hunter (Nick Blood) to be quite intriguing and I am happy to hear that he will be part of the principle cast this season.
- It’s no secret that I adore Iain De Caestecker, but he just broke my heart during “Shadows”. I was hoping so bad that Fitz would be alright after Season 1, but he’s not and I have to admit that I cried. His acting was just beyond amazing! FitzSimmons were always my favourite part of the show and I cannot believe that Simmons left him! I am so angry at her! She was the one person he was supposed to always be able to rely on … How could she do that to him?
This season is going to be brilliant from the looks of its first episode. Not many shows manage to jump right back in and capture me like that. What’s your opinion of so far?