It’s Doctor Who Saturday and this is the obligatory review for “The Caretaker“. I’m always writing this right after I finished watching it and it consists of numerous Spoilers! Consider yourself warned!
Although I am sure some people find the Skovox Blitzer very scary, I do not; but the episode really wasn’t about it (him?). It was rather about Clara having to see her two worlds collide. Let’s face it, we all knew she couldn’t keep her private life and her Doctor life separated forever. I was anticipating this episode ever since they introduced Danny Pink to us, and it was amazing! Here are my thoughts on “The Caretaker“:
- I liked the beginning where you could see Clara trying to juggle her lifestyles while still keeping up appearances. I’m sure some of the places she went to with the Doctor would have made for great (long-format) stories.
- John Smith is back and it’s been a while! I like it when the Doctor has to use his alias or his psychic paper in episodes, because to me it seems like forever that he did. I remember episodes where it was something of a requirement to use the psychic paper at least once, but I understand that they wanted to give it a break in order to not overdo it too much.
- My favourite part by far was the proper meeting or rather introduction of the Doctor and Danny. I knew it would cause tension that Danny was a soldier and I think this will make for great material in the future. When I see them fighting, I never know on which side I should be, because they both care about Clara and want her best. On the one hand I don’t want Danny to be the cause for trouble in the (almost) perfect relationship between Clara and the Doctor, but on the other hand the Doctor is so stubborn. Clara and Danny are the cutest together.
- I can’t believe Clara dropped the l-bomb. I have no clue how long they’ve actually been dating, but I guess no one expected her to use the word “love” just yet.
- Somehow, I got really sad when the Doctor got confused about Clara’s boyfriend. Not the fact that he didn’t like Danny, I expected that, but that he thought she was dating someone who looked like Eleven. A ton of people already commented on the preview for the episode that Adrian (Clara’s colleague) looks a lot like Matt Smith, but I didn’t see it at first. It dawned on me extremely late, but yeah … the bow tie, the hair … they are definitely not twins, but I will grant them somewhat of a resemblance.
- Courtney is such a lucky girl! There is nothing more to add.
- We got another Paradise/Missy hint. Again, it wasn’t much, but at least we now know that she doesn’t work alone. It’s something.
I am not yet sure what to think of next weeks episode “Kill the Moon“, probably because I cannot yet comprehend what it’s actually about. What are your thoughts so far?