Since I loved Our Girl so much and I know that it only consists of 5 parts, I decided to review all of them. (Click here for last weeks post) So, here we go with Episode 2! Beware of Spoilers!
This time Molly had to decide who she can trust and where exactly her priorities lie. On the one hand she wants to follow Army regulations and her Captain’s commands, but she also developed a relationship with a local girl Bashira and she just can’t bring herself to ignore the connection she has with her. Again, the episode had everything from action and humour to really moving moments. Here a quick summary of my thoughts:
- Smurf is back from the hospital and he wants to be there for Molly no matter what. She seems to think those are just empty words, but I believe he actually means it. Also, I seem to detect some jealousy because he can sense the blossoming romance between Molly and Captain James (I so knew this was going to happen!). I’m afraid that at some point, he’s going to really mess with Molly’s and James’ relationship.
- We could already see that Molly liked Bashira in the first episode, but James told her more than once that she should stay away from the girl. Although I know where he is coming from, I also think that Molly was right when she said that they are already involved in the local’s lives. It was such an emotional moment for me when I saw Bashira with the bomb. Great acting on both sides, from Lacey Turner just as much as from Becky Eggersglusz!
- I like how we slowly get the background of other characters as well, such as Qaseem in this episode.
- I find it interesting that they always question the military’s actions as well as certain cultures, because it is true – what’s normal in one country, isn’t normal in another. While I have strong opinions on some subjects (such as child marriage and abuse – that’s always a NO!) who are we to judge which way of living is right?
- Another thing I really enjoy is the music of the show. Music has always been important to me and it can really set a scene. The theme song is great (War Rages On by Alex Clare) and they always chose awesome songs by Daughter and London Grammar for their promos. The whole karaoke and the other singing scenes during the episode were absolutely hilarious!
The promo for next week looks amazing! I heard James say “Come back to me.” and that was it! I am so hooked on this and I definitely don’t want to wait a whole week … What’s your opinion so far?