Now, I’ve been looking forward to this for a very long time. I know that the pilot episode of the Flash has been leaked months ago, but I wanted to wait until it actually aired on TV, just to have a shorter period until the next episode. This review will contain Spoilers as I am just going to share my general thoughts, feelings and questions about the pilot episode with you!
So, let’s start with the basics! The Flash is a superhero from the DC universe and therefore the show is about the same guy, Barry Allen, who got struck by lightning, which in turn gave him the power of super-speed. Not only is he incredibly fast, but he can also heal quicker than normal humans. The cast consists of Grant Gustin, Candice Patton, Rick Cosnett, Danielle Panabaker, Carlos Valdes, Tom Cavanagh, Jesse L. Martin and Patrick Sabongui.
Basically, the first episode was just a nice introduction to all the characters and helped establish the universe we’ll be in for the rest of the season/show. I think they did all that quite well, but it was a little repetitive for people who’ve already seen Barry on Arrow. I guess you can’t just assume that everyone who watches the Flash has seen Arrow though. But here are my more specific thoughts on the events of this episode:
- I like the basic concept of the show and that’s always good. It has a lot of humour (“Run Barry, Run!” and “Lightning gave me abs?” anyone?), heroes and villains and all the people inbetween.
- I’m not a huge fan of Iris to be honest. Maybe it’s because she brotherzoned the adorable Grant Gustin as Barry … or it could be because I’m a huge Felicity Smoak fan and I ship her with everyone. (Well, I’m preferential towards team Olicity, but she was still very cute with Barry.) But I don’t know how exactly I feel about Iris just yet. I’m getting somewhat of a Laurel (from Arrow)-vibe from her and that’s definitely nothing positive.
- It’s always funny to see CW actors and actresses appear in a show after they’ve died in another. All through the episode I was wondering where I knew the guy who plays Eddie (Rick Cosnett) from, until it dawned on me that he was also on the Vampire Diaries. I actually like it when the same actors/actresses appear on the network more than once, but I always need a little time to assess how I should feel about them now and if they play a similar character as they did before.
- I was really happy about the short cameo of Oliver Queen/Arrow/Stephen Amell. I’m really hoping for a real crossover episode soon!
- While the first episode was definitely exciting, it also opened the discussion for several questions: Who was the man that killed Barry’s mum? Was it maybe even Barry himself? Are we going to learn more about Caitlin Snow’s (this so feels like a Game of Thrones kind of name) dead fiance? Can Harrison Wells still walk, or can he just walk in this special room? Can Wells see into the future? Who else has superpowers now and what powers are there? So much to think about!
All in all, I was happy with the pilot and am looking forward to the rest of the season. What are your thoughts so far?