So, I am not a huge fan of the whole zombie trend and I don’t usually go out of my way to watch zombie movies or read zombie books, but I simply couldn’t resist checking out iZombie when I heard that Rob Thomas was involved! Prepare for Spoilers ahead for the iZombie Series Premiere!
iZombie is based on a comic book series by Chris Roberson and Michael Allred which now got adapted by the CW with the help of Rob Thomas, the genius creator of Veronica Mars. I honestly couldn’t be more psyched since I never really got over the cancellation of Veronica Mars and while it may not look that way, the shows are very similar.
Olivia (Rose McIver) or, as she’s often called, Liv is an overachiever, very focused and determined to get what she wants in her life. Everything goes according to plan until she goes to a boat party with an inexplicable zombie outbreak. She survives, but in the process she got scratched by a zombie and is now one herself. After that she turns her life upside down: She doesn’t pursue a career as a heart surgeon any longer and changes to a position at the morgue instead. Also, she breaks up with her loving fiance (Robert Buckley) because she doesn’t want to burden him with her zombie fate. So, just like Veronica, she’s a strong female character with a bit of an identity crisis, but the similarities don’t stop there. You are what you eat was never more true than for Liv, because whenever she eats a brain (which she has to do in order to not turn full on zombie) she gets the memories and sometimes even skills and characteristics of that person. Working in a morgue, her “patients” haven’t all died of natural causes and eventually she finds her purpose in afterlife by helping out the local detective (Malcolm Goodwin) as his psychic sidekick. So, basically she’s a zombie Veronica Mars kind of detective and I love it!
The show is hilarious and weird, which is just the way I like my television program to be. But here are some other things I really love about iZombie:
- Rose McIver looks great as a zombie. She’s not the brain-dead version, but a sarcastic and bad-ass kind instead. Also props to the make-up department, they did an amazing job!
- Rahul Kohli as Liv’s confidant is just hilarious! His comments crack me up every time, I love his accent and I am so happy that she has someone to talk to who’s so cool and nonchalant about the whole thing. Also, he tries to cure her, so she really couldn’t have hoped for someone better to find out about her secret.
- At the end of the pilot episode, we find out that Liv isn’t the only zombie, but that there is another (male) one out there, played by David Anders. I love David Anders! Just knowing that he was in it, made me want to check it out and I can’t wait to see what his part in the show he will be. I have a feeling he is not as controlled as Liv.
- Apparently Bradley James is set to appear in the show as well! Again, cannot wait!
- Last but not least, it takes place in Seattle and I just really, really like that city!
I kind of feel like I want to check out the comics to see what to expect from the show as it goes along, but I’m not sure I have any time (or money for the matter) to do so any time soon. Have any of you read the comics and want to share your thoughts? I’d love to hear from everyone if they are as psyched as I am to have another Rob Thomas show on TV again.