After the disappointment that was Season 5, not in terms of content but rather length, I was super happy to have Rookie Blue back! For all of you who don’t remember, they announced that Season 5 would be extended and have over 20 episodes, just to run it normal-length and have me on the edge of my seat waiting for its return.
Now, finally, it is back with “Open Windows“. So, beware of Spoilers!
The promo is obviously solely about McSwarek, but there was a lot more going on the actual episode. We finally got the band back together, starting off a couple weeks after the Season 5 Finale. There was a lot of stuff unresolved by the end of it all and they didn’t get much farther since we last saw our heroes. Going through it all, those are my thoughts:
- I guess I should start with the most pressing issue: Is McSwarek alright? I honestly don’t know. Marlo has finally told Sam about her pregnancy and that the baby is definitely his. Andy knew there was something bothering him, but she only feared that Marlo went off her meds again. She did not anticipate a pregnant ex getting in the way of her relationship. I know that Sam and Andy simply happy together is boring, but they would deserve it so much!
- Someone tried to break in and rape Traci, but it was Andy in the apartment instead of her and she fought the offender off. That must be such a bad feeling though. Knowing that someone stalked you for weeks before trying to assault you. The Division is not allowed to investigate, so the case is handled by someone else and no one likes that.
- It was only shortly mentioned that Gail’s quest for adopting Sophie is pretty rocky. I hope she makes it!
- Diaz has an affair with the wife of his boss, who’s also an ex-addict. Not sure that will redeem him anytime soon …
- Chloe feels like a Pariah and as if everyone is siding with Dov … She can’t just expect everyone to be cool about what happened, can she? Still, her scenes are definitely the most hilarious ones, especially when she’s with stoic Nick. Gotta love their friendship! Also, she has found a new girlfriend in Juliet (later more about her).
- Dov has really stepped up his game! He’d have a chance as profiler in my opinion! Is he maybe out for a position of Detective?
- And then there was Nick. He’s kind of my favourite by now and at the end of last Season he got stood up by a women he met in a coffee shop. Now it turns out that exact woman is a new fellow officer, Juliet Ward. While Nick originally thought about leaving for ETF, his new colleague has definitely got his attention and might just make him stay (please?). I was totally digging their reunion and crazy sexual tension until she got into a car with a guy and he asked her about what she’d found out. Is she undercover at the station? Why would anyone do that? I’m not shipping her with Nick anymore now, even if she feels remorse at some point. I’d rather have McCollins back!
- May I just add that there was not enough Oliver in the episode? Good thing that’s noted!
I thought that Season 6 might be the last one, but Showrunner Tassie Cameron has announced that there’s still the possibility of a 7th Season. I keep my fingers crossed for more of Rookie Blue, but only as long as the storylines still make sense and they don’t stretch it out unnecessarily. What do you think?