Teen Wolf never ceases to get met excited and that was one heck of a Season 5 Premiere! I’ve already watched the first two episodes and they were truly great. I’ll make sure to separate my review in case you haven’t watched both, but beware of Spoilers nonetheless!
Again, Teen Wolf somehow manages to strike a great balance between dark and gritting stuff, hilarious moments and touching scenes. The Season premiere proved that as our friends in Beacon Hills prepared for their Senior Year at High School.
Episode 1 “Creatures of the Night”:
I was a bit confused when the episode started. Where is Lydia? Why is she catatonic? How could her friends let that happen to her? etc. My mind just swarming with the questions, until I realised that this season will pretty much show us how she got there and what happened to the pack. Whatever happened, it definitely wasn’t good judging from Lydia’s memory (Scott’s mom slapping Sheriff Stilinski, Kira leaving Scott behind, Stiles in a car accident, Parrish in a(nother) fire and Malia’s seemingly bad first meeting with her mother).
However, the rest of the episode was great. The main focus is on everyone adjusting to the anxious mess that is Senior Year. Malia passed the last year just like everyone else (however that is possible, I don’t know) and Stiles frets about loosing his friends, but especially Scott. If it were up to him no one would be left behind, not even his unreliable Jeep. An especially touching moment occurs when they all sign their initials on a school library shelf and Scott adds AA for Allison Argent. I do still miss her …
Sheriff Stilinski also tried to keep Parrish out of harm’s way, but coincidentally sent him exactly to the location our new villain appears. We still don’t know what Parrish is (#WhatIsParrish is still alive …), but he is not a werewolf and he can regenerate. A lot of people are suggesting he’s a Phoenix, but I’m not so sure. I guess we’ll find out this season as well. Actually, the villain of the episode is not the villain of the season, those are some creepy “Doctors” associated with ravens. Wasn’t there a point where someone talked about the fox, the raven and so on? Also, something I don’t know much about it seems!
Another addition to the cast is Pretty Little Liars star Cody Christian as Theo, a former friend of Scott and Stiles, who’s also a werewolf. (More about him in my thoughts about Episode 2)
Kira’s mom mentioned something about the “Wild Hunt” and I just had to think of Cassandra Clare‘s The Mortal Instruments and how those are ruthless killer faeries. It probably (or certainly) has nothing to do with that, but my mind is clogged with BTS material of the Shadowhunter series shoot.
All in all a bit of a confusing but very good start of the season!
Episode 2 “Parasomnia”:
I want to keep this rather short, so here the main bullet points of what I thought:
- I trust Stiles when he dislikes someone, because he mostly has a good reason. Yet, he looked so nice even I thought Theo couldn’t be that bad a person … guess I was wrong. The end of that episode was seriously messed up/weird. Who is that guy really?
- Okay, I just have to say it, the Marrish (aka Parrish and Lydia) scenes were adorable. I could so see them becoming a couple in the future.
- Scott apparently takes becoming a veterinarian very seriously and (to everyone’s surprise) even takes AP Biology. Good for him!
- I’m so glad Liam’s best friend finally knows what’s going on! I really like Liam’s character and am sure him getting control over the change as well as the girl he’s apparently wronged in the past will be a huge part of the plot this season!
- The exchange between Scott and Stiles was the best! Those are some real friendship goals!
So, that’s it for today! If you want to discuss, I am all for it in the comments!