I’ve read this book with Cátia @The Girl Who Read Too Much and Cristina @My Tiny Obsessions. It was our first bookish threesome-buddy-read and I had a blast, even though it took us forever to read the book. (Lady Midnight is massive and not easy to take anywhere so there are definite reasons!) You should keep out an eye for their reviews! I’ve personally decided that I don’t want to do the conventional review for Lady Midnight, because I stayed far away from everything before reading the book and I don’t want to give anything essential away if you haven’t picked it up yet either.
Why I Enjoyed Lady Midnight
- The Shadowhunter world is back! I never get tired of hearing of all the Herondales, Carstairs, Lightwoods, Frays and what not out there! The rules stay the same, some of the characters still accompany us and yet we also get a whole new storyline with so much to discover.
- Parabatai-focus! The parabatai bond has always been one of the most intriguing parts of the Shadowhunter world for me and Emma and Julian are the perfect characters to explore the topic in more detail. Everything about it makes me so curious and at the same time breaks my heart. This is one of the puzzles I really can’t figure out and I am eager to find out how Clare will resolve the matter of parabatai-love in the end.
- Family above all! The Blackthorn family is one of the most adorable and funniest clan out there and I have instantly taken them all into my heart. They are each individuals, yet play their role and together they are the strongest. They seem inseparable and that’s the way it’s supposed to be.
- Blast from the past! As I’ve mentioned above we still get some news about characters from previous books and whenever that happens, it just makes my heart glow!
- Twists and turns! Obviously I am not going to tell you any details, but especially towards the end, the surprises just kept coming. Some things might have been stuff that you would be able to guess, but for others I could not have made the connection at all. It was awesome!
- Integration of poetry! I am by no means a poetry expert, but every once in a while a poem just gets stuck in my head and Lady Midnight definitely helped with this one.
- All the feels! In the end, I was heartbroken and confused and just AAAAAH! This book gave me so many feels, good as much as bad. I felt love and betrayal. Friendship and loss. Responsibility and the need to let go. Clare is clearly out to destroy us!
Fazit: 5/5 stars! A must-read for all Shadowhunter fans out there!
Did you read Lady Midnight? Are you as excited about Lord of Shadows as I am? I know that she is a fast writer, but I wish I could have books more often than once a year …