So, last week I talked about some of my favourite ships (you can check out that post here), but peoples, sometimes ships also gloriously fail. That’s why I am here today to do the Romance Fails in Fiction Tag, which the Orang-utan Librarian tagged me for. It’s going to be fun! (Hopefully …)
- Please PINGBACK to Kate @ Melting Pots and Other Calamities.
- You can choose ten romance fails from ANY media you like: books, movies, anime, manga, T.V shows, or Webtoons. You can even mix them up if you want.
- You can choose funny fails or serious ones; for the serious ones, phrase it humorously. Remember, this is a fun tag! It’s not meant to be serious.
- Mention who’s who in the fails. (I.E, who fails and who is the recipient of the failure). If there isn’t recipient, per se, just state the couple (or non-couple).
- Optional: Rank the failures from least extreme to most extreme.
- 5 failures at LEAST.
- Tag as many people as you want, but at least one person.
Mindy/Ben (The Mindy Project)
I don’t know who finished the Mindy Project, but the whole Mindy-Ben-marriage was a vast disappointment for me. What was the point of the whole thing? Thinking about it, they managed to butcher every good option for Mindy out there, when in reality Mindy needs no man. Anyway, they turned Casey into a douche, they really messed up Danny and then they just handed Ben to her. Ben is the uber-nice guy – Mr. Perfect … just not for Mindy? There was no chemistry there and I know Mindy needed to get over the notion of marriage being her end goal, but still … ugh …
Katniss/Gale (The Hunger Games)
We’ve gone through this like a 13823948 times. They were flirty friends, but they were never supposed to be a thing. Heck, at this point I am not even sure Katniss is supposed to be with Peeta. Can someone let that girl just have platonic love?
Lizzie/Thomas Shelby (Peaky Blinders)
Okay … sooo … I love Lizzie. In her own way, she is family but sometimes the show really missed crucial parts of her history? I still don’t know when she went from sleeping with Tommy, to loving John and then back to really loving Tommy and basically being the unofficial Ms. Thomas Shelby without probably ever being it for real. I am afraid this will only make sense to people who watched the show.
Liam/Kathryn (The Royals)
It was like a car crash happening right in front of my eyes. I know The Royals thrives on drama, but that whole storyline (plus the fight for the throne) really ruined Liam for me?
Klaus/Camille (The Originals)
The moment Cami appeared on screen, I thought she looked and felt like a carbon copy of Caroline and I stand by that opinion to this day (they don’t just look alike, they also have similar names). That made it impossible for me to ever truly see her as a real option for Klaus. Also, everyone treated her like a saint when she really wasn’t one. I am not heartless, her exiting the show was sad, but not because I cared for her character, but because of what that meant to Klaus.
Clara/Danny Pink (Doctor Who)
Look, I thought they were cute in the beginning, but that was when I still believed he could be the new Rory. However, Danny Pink was never going to be a longterm installment of Clara’s life. He didn’t accept her for who she was and all he left her with was a lot of plot holes (*cough* Orson Pink *cough*).
I TAG THEE
- Andrea @Andrea’s Nirvana
- Camillea @Camillea Reads
- Kate @Reading Through Infinity
- Lois @My Midnight Musings
- WHOEVER WANTS TO DO THIS TAG!!
So, I couldn’t come up with 10 picks, but what do you think? What are some romances that have failed hard?